Bleach is a common household cleaner that can be used for a variety of things from cleaning bathrooms to whitening clothes. Bleach also plays a role in the wake of disasters. It can be used to purify water for drinking and cooking. Many people use it to clean up after a flood, but it should not be assumed that bleach is effective for mold remediation.
The main ingredient of bleach is sodium hypochlorite, which as the term bleach suggests, is good for removing discoloration. When bleach is used to remove molds in the house, it will remove the discoloration caused by the mold infestation. However, the microflora of the mold stays behind. You just don’t see them anymore because the color has been removed by the bleach.
Mold thrives in water, and another major component of bleach is water. When you spray bleach on an infested area, you are actually helping the mold thrive, even as you try to destroy it. In time, you will see the mold, spray it once again, and the fruitless cycle will continue.
If you want to get rid of molds in your home, it is best to call in a professional who is specially trained in mold remediation. If left untreated, mold in the home can cause nasal congestion, throat irritation, coughing, wheezing, and skin problems. Don’t cut corners when dealing with mold; call in the experts to prevent serious problems down the line.